Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why are we so resistant to change?

As some of you may know, I am President of the Primary at my church. I am responsible for approximately 35 children between the ages of 3 and 11 and 20 children in our nursery. I of course have teachers to help. I also have two couselors and I am supposed to have a secretary.

My journey thus far in Primary has not been without bumps in the road. I have had to juggle people around, deal with issues, rearrange teachers and manage a lot of different personalities.

What really helped me get through all this was the assistance of my two wonderful counselors. And just when I thought everything was running smoothly and we were getting in to our groove - I get a call saying one of my counselors was getting released!

"WHAT?!" I say. I am flabbergasted. We haven't been together as a presidency for long and we are doing a sacrament meeting presentation with only two sunday's left to practice. Lynzee, my counselor that they released, was in charge of music and those of you that know me, know that I am not musically inclined at all.

But I find out that they are making her President of the Young Women's organization. Although I am said to lose my trusted friend as my counselor (Yes, I am selfish!) I know that they couldn't have picked a better person. The Young Women are lucky to have her.

As I am reeling from this news and wallowing in self pity (I don't feel well while all this is happening and feel like the universe is picking on me) we get a call from the Stake Presidency. They would like to speak to Chris and would like me to come along. Oh - Oh. Now what?

Well I am going to have to leave you in suspense as far as Chris goes because the callings is not official yet. It has not been announced at our church. I'll update on that as soon as I can.

It's funny because we often complain that we are in a rut, but it seems like when change comes we often don't like it. It's like when you go to your favorite restaurant and you order the same meal every time. Every once in a while you order something different and most of the time you wish you had ordered your usual. But sometimes you are surprised and find out that you like something new!

No comments: