Friday, October 10, 2008

Mom, you are making me nervous!


In an effort to support our children, and to show them that everything they do is important to us, Chris and I try to attend every single school related activity there is.

Riley is a little bit of a math whiz. Always has been. My dad is awesome at math, I'm not so bad, both of Chris's grandpas were engineers. He rarely gets anything less than a hundred on a test and is way ahead of his class on his multiplication and division. He brings home lots of Mathematics Achievement Awards.

One day when Riley was in 1st grade his teacher called me to let me know he had made it into the Math Facts Contest. Basically they hold up flash cards with math problems on it and you have to be the first to answer. So to make it into the contest you have to be one of the best five in your class. Then you compete with the other five per class in your grade. Riley always makes it into Math Facts. So I went to see him a couple of times and he would always be in the top two or three but didn't win. Well, one day I couldn't make it and he won!! He confessed that when I was there watching it made him extra nervous. So we decided together that I wouldn't go watch him anymore. (I have to admit I was tempted to sneak in the back or peak through the window or something.)

I won't say that he has won every single time I wasn't there, but he has on occasion. Today was one of those days. He beat out 9 other fourth graders and won the contest!

So yes, I am bragging but I don't care - it's my right as a mom!!

No comments: