Friday, September 26, 2008

Unions, Camping and a Scooter Injury........

Was trying to run a quick errand to the post office today. I had multiple packages and Ella was tired. I put the packages into this big bag from Sam's so that I could manage the packages and Ella. A lady stopped me and commented on how nice and big this bag was. (It's one of those Eco friendly reusable deals) She asks me what "Sam's" is and I explain to her, that it's like Costco. She loves Costco and asks me where Sam's is. I explain to her that they are usually next to Walmart's since they are owned by the same people.

"Oh, I can't shop there" she says to me. "You know they are not union right? I have been union all my life" She even whipped out a pamphlet about unions. (Why do crazy old people always come up to me at the post office?) So I explain to her that with three kids to feed I don't have the luxury of shopping just anywhere - I shop where I get the best deal. She looks at me like I am the most unscrupulous, unprincipled person she has ever met. I sense a lecture coming so I am grateful when Ella decides to try and do a runner and I am "forced" to chase after her.

So I come home, put Ella down for a nap, clean the basement which is a wreck as usual and Chris arrives home for his little overnight camping trip. He claims that he and his friend Eric are going "boyscout" style but they have camp beds, steaks, fruit salad and baked potatoes. Boyscouts must be really living it up these days.

Anyway, just when the kids and I are settling down for the evening after a dinner of leftovers, some friends of theirs from school show up. They play baseball in the field for a while and then they want to ride their bikes. "Sure" I say, "As long as you follow the rules" After catching Ciara without a helmet, I return inside only to have to rush right back out to the sound of Ciara crying. She has borrowed the friends scooter and sliced her foot open. A battle of wills insues where I insist she takes a bath and cleans the darn cut out real well while she screams that the water will practically cripple her with the pain. I win the bath fight but have to listen to the complaints of what agony she is in and how I am not doing enough to ease her pain. (Neosporin and a band-aid just didn't cut it I guess)

So this is a life of a mother. Even though Ciara didn't have permission to ride the scooter, didn't wear tennis shoes like I asked her - it's all my fault because I never specifically said "If you ride your friends scooter, you might accidently cut your foot open"

No comments: