Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's whats for dinner

A few of my friends have started posting their dinner ideas and sharing recipes so I thought I would join in. I had plans to make chicken cacciatore tonight which meant I needed to go to the grocery store. I planned to go the grocery store after Riley had his piano lesson but alas, Ella had a potty accident while we were waiting so we had to return home. This left me scouring the pantry for something for dinner. I also wanted to use up some hamburger buns. I always have ground beef on hand so I decided on Sloppy Joes.

Now this recipe is actually called Spicy Joe's and I found it several years ago on the back of a Maull's BBQ Sauce bottle. It's super simple.


  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 cup barbeque sauce
  • 1 tablespoon worchestershire
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 6 ounces lemon lime soda
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • salt and pepper to taste

According to the instructions you are simply supposed to throw everything into one big skillet, mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat for at least 30 minutes. Uncover and then simmer until thickened.
I however don't like the thought of the fat from the ground beef draining into the rest of the food so I prepare it as follows which also takes a lot less time. I brown the ground beef and then drain the fat. I add in all the other ingredients, but since certain members of my household (I won't name names but they are both male) don't like onion, I use onion powder. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Takes about 15 minutes from start to finish! Add a side of mac and cheese, or like we did tonight Au Gratin potatoes and dinner is served. The recipe says it serves 4, which it does if no one wants seconds.

I'm no food stylist, but I promise it tastes yummy
Even my self proclaimed little vegetarian will eat this!

And if like most of us you are feeling a little budget conscious these days. This meal cost about $6.50 for our family of five (which includes one toddler who eats little tiny portions about eight times a day!)

What's for dinner at your house?

No comments: